Pages

"God sets the lonely in families" - Psalm 68:6



Friday, May 20, 2011

My Crazy Orphan Summit Travel Schedule Parallels Our Adoption...

My trip to Kentucky was one crazy adventure! I have traveled to sixteen countries and without a doubt, this was the most challenging travel schedule in all of my life! Where should I begin...

While in route to Dallas on American Airlines, we were told that the Dallas Fort Worth Airport had been closed due to weather. Our plane was forced to land at a small airport in Abilene, TX. We were grounded for over two hours and the passengers could not get off the plane. The looming storm was haunting and tensions were high. The pilot brought joy to the all of the passengers when he announced that he had ordered Dominos Pizza for everyone! We each enjoyed a slice of pizza and tried to make light of the moment.




I spent a lot of time on my flights journaling, reading my Bible and praying. I also had many opportunities to speak with fellow passengers, and asked God to place me exactly where He wanted me on each flight. I had many "divine appointments" along the journey, which made it all the more interesting! I look forward to following up with some of these relationships and seeing what God will do!

After passing more than two hours on the Abeline Airport tarmac, we were finally told that the Dallas Airport had opened. Our plane ascended back into the air. As we approached Dallas, the pilot announced that the airport had been closed again due to the storm. We hovered over Dallas for quite some time. When we finall prepared to land, tensions were high again. We experienced horrible turbulence and I read Psalm 91 aloud over and over again. It was a great comfort to know that our plane and our lives were not in the hand of the pilot or of the storm, but in the hands of our Mighty God!

All of the passengers were relieved to step into the Dallas Airport, but I quickly learned that all flights to Louisville had been cancelled. Yikes! The Summit started at 7 a.m. the following morning. I was able to get booked onto a flight into Lexington, KY, which was delayed over eight times throughout the course of the evening. Needless to say, I was exhausted when I boarded that plane. When we finally departed (at 1 a.m.) on our tiny commuter plane, I discovered that a few other passengers were headed to The Summit as well. I scrambled, made some calls, and was able to find a hotel room. I ended up renting a car with another Summit attendee (for the outrageous price of $160). We became fast friends and kept ourselves awake at 4 a.m. as we drove along the dark and lonely highway into Louisville.

I checked into my hotel room on the morning of The Summit at 4:30 a.m. The lady behind the hotel desk was very kind, and gave me a discounted rate (since I only needed the room for 5 hours). I was so happy to see Lucy later that morning, but I was exhausted.

On the day of my return home, I had a wonderful nights' sleep. I was amazed by how rested I felt, and then I looked at the clock in disbelief. The hotel staff had forgotten my wake up call, and I had missed my plane. While frustrated, I reminded myself that God was in control, nothing happens in His kingdom "by mistake." The hotel apologized emphatically, gave me a discounted rate and helped to connect me with American Airlines. I was re-booked on a flight six hours later, and went back to my room for some more rest. When I came back down to the lobby later that day, I encountered another "divine appointment" and ran into a friend from the So Cal Orphan Care Network who had attended The Summit. She gave me a ride to the airport and we enjoyed getting to know one another. I also ran into another friend from Orange County on my flights back, and continued to thank God for His hand on every leg of my flight.

My crazy travel schedule was the perfect reflection of our incredibly bumpy and often confusing adoption journey. Yes, our adoption has been filled with many disappointments and a lot of turbulence. However, we have also encountered many "divine appointments" and God has been with us every step of the way. He is fully in control and He will never leave us or forsake us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Vision

God spoke this vision regarding our adoption journey to Barbara Lange on March 26, 2010...

"Jenni,


I have made the decision to speak our boldly when God speaks to me. Last night as I was washing the dishes I received this "vision" of you. I hesitate to use the word "vision," but what I saw was a slide of your life. As I watched the show in my mind I began to cry because I was so touched by what I saw. You and I have shared many tears these last couple of years, both sorrow and joy. The attachment is what I saw.

FRAME 1

Jenni sitting at the South Coast Community Church reception desk with the photo album of her courtship and engagement to Mike.

FRAME 2

Jenni performing the gospel message in mime at New Harvest Community Church, showing her heart for the lost and oppressed. Jenni performing the gospel in mime on missions trips everywhere she is able to go. Her Father rejoicing at her obedience and passion.

FRAME 3

The anguished look of a woman desperately wanting to have children. Unsuccessful fertility treatements.

FRAME 4

God watching over His daughter, His heart breaking as tears flow down her cheeks. He whispers in her ear, "My child, I know how broken you feel, but I have a great plan and purpose for your life. This anguish, this heartbreak, this pain will subside. Joy is on its' way. I needed you to suffer in this way because of My plan is for you. You are going to be an advocate for international adoptions. You are going to spread my gospel this way.

FRAME 5

The births of Jordan and Aidan! At last a MOM!

FRAME 6

Having experienced the heartbreak of infertility, Jenni's passion for adoption grows.


FRAME 7

Jenni's passion for missions and adoption begin to fuse.


FRAME 8

The Ramseys start the adoption process for a daughter.

FRAME 9

Jenni goes to Washington DC and connects with adoption leaders. Relationships follow, teamwork begins. Jenni begins a new chapter in her life in the intl. adoption network.

FRAME 10

The slow adoption process is agonizing to the Ramseys.

FRAME 11

Jenni leads a missions team to El Salvador and learns sad news about El Salvador adoptions and specifically their own plans. Heartbroken again, but resolved to press on.

FRAME 12

More networking with intl. adoptions, hope for their daughter and another trip to El Salvador. Jordan goes to El Salvador. The orphans are overwhelmed and ecstatic that Jenni returns. Jenni and Jordan build "forever friendships and family" in El Salvador. Jenni's passion increases.

FRAME 13

Jenni prepares for third trip to El Salvador in one year. Amazing things happen.

FRAME 14 - THE FINAL FRAME...

Mike and Jenni, standing now, older, graying hair, surrounded by their sons and their wives, their daughters and their husbands and their grandchildren. Below them are thousands of children joyously celebrating Jenni's life. Her passion to follow her Father's call and purpose on her life is fulfilled. These thousands of children represent all of the orphans, adoptions and ripple affect of her life's work.

A work that could not be accomplished without the pain, suffering and brokeness she endured trying to become a mom.


Well done, my good and faithful servant."

A Heartwarming Adoption Story.... the Howerton's Miraculous Haitian Adoption Journey

God's Heart for Orphans...

An Incredible Video...

"Cry of The Orphan" - Thoughts on orphan care from some of my greatest heroes!